Monday, March 31, 2014

21st Century Skills


Although I feel that each 21st Century Skill has its level of importance with students, I feel that communication is an essential 21st century skill skill. I think that communication is the most important skill because being an effective communicator not only involves learning how to effectively communicate but also how to effectively listen. Currently, I am taking courses to obtain my M.ED. in school administration. This program is entirely online. I am learning how to communicate and collaborate with my peers and to create presentations strictly through the internet. I feel like it is becoming more and more important for students to understand how to properly communicate online.

This might be used in my Technology Infusion Plan by using it to differentiate learning. One thing that I use technology for in my classroom is book clubs. We use online forums for discussion so that the question that the students must discuss and talk about is leveled. It also helps other students because they feel more at ease when they are working on leveled material in which they can be successful at. I would love to use communication more throughout my book clubs. Possibly using a student as the discussion director and allow students to run their own groups.

This can be assessed by seeing if students could communicate effectively to solve a problem or create a presentation. This could also be assessed by having the students create guidelines for effective communication that they use when collaborating. 

2 comments:

  1. Are you thinking of having students moderate their own forums? That's interesting! : >

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree with you more! The availability of situations in which society can communicate is increasing, but our students are turning away from it! They prefer to hole themselves in and zone out. We cannot let that continue! Thanks for sharing my sentiments! :)

    ReplyDelete